Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ordinary

Without apologies or explanation, lets just say I'm venturing into the blogging world again.  This time without any agenda but to share the weight and wonder I keep finding ordinary life.  Without further ado, here is the first venture, my poem of the day.

 Public Library

There is a woman in the corner
beneath the plate-glass window
she clutches her belongings in a canvas sack
its seam slowly unraveling

she mutters stories to herself
and any who will hear
as if she were the children's librarian
gathering a semi-circle of bodies at her feet
hands animated, eyes laughing

as if she were the book itself
the afternoon sun
spilling upon her open pages

I am sitting on the red carpet two shelves over
reading Rita Dove
I cannot hold on to the poem in my hands
I hear only this poem in my ears


No comments: