Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Finally, some photos!

I know, I know, I've made too many promises to post some pictures from the past few weeks. My limited internet access made it a little difficult to upload some pics. Sorry it has taken so long! Without further ado, here they are:


Puppies! One of PB's four dogs gave birth to seven puppies a few weeks ago. The children creatively named them names like George, Rod, Tyrone, and Max (sounds like the members of an eighties hair band). But of course, eleven dogs are far too many for the amount of land here, so all but one of the puppies have mysteriously dissappeared since the taking of this photo. We keep telling the children they have gone to a "new home," but I haven't bothered to ask where this new home is. I'm not sure I want to know.


Here are some of the kids playing Karom on the veranda. This is one of the most popular afternoon activities, second to cricket, of course.


Future Bollywood stars?


We had a going-away party for one of the girls here who left to live with some family. A party's not a party without games, so we played "stomp on everyone else's balloon without having yours burst." No, I didn't win the staff round, but I wasn't the first out, either.


Here's a picture from one of my favorite walks around PB. PB is the cluster of white buildings in the center of the photo.


The walk takes me past some rice fields and berry bushes and ends overlooking a beautiful, green valley. The temptation to explore further died when the kids told me stories about the tigers and snakes that live down there!


While all of the children were visiting families in Mumbai last week, the staff went to a wedding! I want to know where I can get a tent like that!


Here we are, awaiting the arrival of the bride and groom.


First rainfall of the year. Monsoon is on the way, and I need to buy a raincoat.


Last weekend I went to Mumbai to stay with some Oasis staff. The woman I stayed with lives north of the city where it fades into fishing villages. She took me to the yard where the fishing boats are built.






We wandered around an old Portuguese fort. I was told Bombay was given to the Portuguese as a dowry while the Tudors ruled in England. Can someone correct my world history?








That's all for now, folks. I need to buy some new batteries for my camera after all this photo taking!

2 comments:

Ariel Anderton said...

Rachel, Yay for pictures :-) I like your garb. I'm interested in more wedding details. What did you notice about the ceremony? Cute puppies are apparently born around the world, ay? Your walking ground are lovely. The mountains are so visible with so little to block them. Yes - invest in a raincoat :-). Not much happening here - I lead a rather boring life these days. I appreciate your adventure all the more!

Brendan Jamieson said...

Yay for pictures. Thanks for sharing those and I can't wait to see more. It was great talking to you last week, a joy to my day! I love you sista!

Katie :)